"Grieving the loss of a child is a process, it begins the day your child passes and ends the day the parent joins them."
BJKarrer

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Lab work results.

Yesterday I took Carly to a local lab to have her monthly blood work done. I just received my call from UofM. I still hate when their number pops up on caller ID. My heart still skips a beat. Even though I know what the call is about. Maybe that's why my heart does skip a beat. Fear sets in. Never fails.

Today's lab results are somewhat better. They are at least going in the right direction.

Today's lab work results are:

hemoglobin 13.9

white count 3.8

ANC 1.8

platelets 75,000

Last months results were:

hemoglobin 12.1

white count 2.8

ANC 1.2

platelets 62,000

Not sure what the game plan is for the next month. Our NP is going to talk with Carly's Oncologist tomorrow during clinic. We don't know how long they will continue to monitor her blood work. I suspect it will be for a few more months. We are also going to decide on if we should go ahead with the ultra sound of the spleen. To check out it's function.

I'm beginning to worry as school is about to start back up. Carly will no doubt be getting sick with all kinds of junk. Her platelets will no doubt be taking another hit when that happens. As of now, she can not have anything other than Tylenol for discomfort and fevers. Because Motrin/Advil will eat up platelets. That's not good for Carly, because Tylenol has never really done much for her. She just doesn't get relief from it like she does from Motrin or Advil.

Guess that's about all I've got for today.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Will we ever get over that sinking feeling when a number pops up on the phone?Will we ever stop feeling sick to our stomach waiting on labs?I truly don't think so.So glad there is improvement.Heading in the right direction is great news.We head to clinic again on Monday .... I will be popping the Xanax!!Can I send you some??Kidding ...

Stephanie said...

Going in the right direction. One month at a time. She's good!

Heidi said...

I'm glad to hear the test results were good - at least going in the right direction!

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Keeping fingers crossed that you keep getting better test results.

Tina said...

Keeping on praying for Carly and for her health and for your strength and peace of mind. I can imagine that sickening feeling when one sees a number one is dreading but one which is inevitably going to call. All that counts is things going in the right direction one day at a time and Carly getting better each day. Stay positive!!

Michelle said...

I'm glad to hear her blood test results are at least going in the right direction, even if slowly!