"Grieving the loss of a child is a process, it begins the day your child passes and ends the day the parent joins them."
BJKarrer

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas candy

During the month of December, I thought I would share a few family favorites. Favorites meaning, recipes for candies and cookies and all kinds of yummy treats. Time seems to really fly from the first of December right up till Christmas Day. Everyone scurrying around looking for all those great deals. Families trying to squeeze in a 'baking day'. Making sure homes are decorated. Kids in front of the TV watching all those holiday shows. Ah...Christmas, a wonderfully crazy time of year.

Since it is a crazy time of year and I too am very busy trying to get things done. I thought I would share some of our family favorites. In terms of yummy candy, cookies and treats. Today I'm sharing a recipe that I got several years ago from my cousin. I call it Heath Bar candy, but the recipe says it's Toffee. Which ever you call it, it's sure to be a big hit around your home. Plus, it's simple!

1 C sugar
1 C water
1 C butter (real butter not margarine)
1 C finely chopped nuts (optional)
1 package semi sweet chocolate chips
1 large cookie sheet (I use a sheet cake pan)
Tin foil

Add sugar, water & butter into heavy pot. Using a candy thermometer, let mixture reach 300 degrees. Make sure to continue to stir often. Once the temp reaches 300, pour in finely chopped nuts and stir till blended. Pour entire mixture onto a tin foil lined cookie sheet. You will want to make sure that you fold all four sides of the tin foil up, forming an edge all the way around. Immediately cover with your package of chocolate chips. Once the chips begin to melt, spread carefully over the top. Let sit until cool. Break into pieces and enjoy!

**helpful hint~I spray my tin foil with butter flavored cooking spray.**

6 comments:

Me said...

OH YUM!!! I'm so gonna try this. I used to love all of the special Christmas candies and cookies that my mom and Grandmas made when I was growing up. The problem though is most of it was very heavily nut based, and not necessarily easy to just leave out since they were the main part of the recipe. My oldest is allergic to peanuts/nuts so I can't make any of the traditional stuff I grew up with. And of course I can't find anything in the store that's nut-free so I usually just make Nanaimo bars and sugar cookies. This recipe of yours sounds so simple, and my son would love it! I'm sure I could find something to sub for the nuts too if I wanted, but in this recipe it's not even necessary.

Heidi said...

Mmmm ... that sounds really good! I just love Christmas - the shopping, decorating, baking! It's so much fun!

Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

The Lehnick Family said...

Sounds yummy! Love this time of year as well...wish there were more days in December!!! Happy Baking!

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

Thanks for sharing. I am going to try to get in one or two baking days. Yes this time of the year is fun.

Michele Risner said...

Sounds yummy

Me said...

I'm going to try this, but can you tell me if this is a chewy thing, or a hard candy thing? If it's too chewy like real toffee, then I probably won't make it....it will rip Kaia's teeth out of her mouth! LOL.